Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Close-Shave with Destiny

Tuesday evening, I was driving back home on I270 cruising in the left lane when I heard a thump from the car. Even before I could realize what was happening, car started to dance on the road. As I tried to veer it away from the concrete barricade on the shoulder, car made a quick swirl. There I was spinning with the car in the fast lane, I had a glimpse of the oncoming traffic onto me and finally the car made the 360 degree turn and came to a screeching halt across two lanes. Horrified by the 5 second kamikaze move my car made on me, it sunk on me that not even one car from either lanes rammed into me and knew it was my lucky day. One car came close and stopped and the guy asked if I was ok and went on. It took me a while to jump out of the car and stand on the shoulder away from the traffic, which was closing in on the disabled car with hazard lights on, and at the last moment steer away from hitting it. I was shaken but as I stood there the feeling of being lucky was churning in the gut. I called 911 and the dispatcher connected me to the state police who arrived around 25 mins after. I hoped the police officer arrived quicker because I didnt want some poor soul or a maniac driver ramming into the disabled vehicle on speed lane. After the cop arrived, with his truck providing cover, we moved the car safely onto the shoulder. Towing truck arrived 45 mins after and finally got it to the shed. That was one hell of an experience. The car's rear-right tire went bust and I guess it tail-spun on impact. Yesterday I had the tire replaced and driving back from the dealership I was still scared, as it reminded me of the near-death experience it put me through. 'Not Yet' uttered by Russell Crowe in the movie 'Gladiator' was ringing in my ears for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment